OurChatham seeks an experienced community organizer to develop and engage a diverse audience of curious, influential people who live, work and play in Chatham County.
The purpose of OurChatham is to show community news organizations how audience engagement can directly lead to a sustainable financial model for filling the unmet information needs of a community. Our goal is to have 4,000 weekly engagements with Chatham County residents by June 2020.
- Plan and lead the execution of community events that will:
- Curate discussion with Chatham County residents about their unmet information needs
- Explain the journalistic process and answer questions about local journalism
- Generate reportable questions via the Hearken platform on OurChatham
- Boost subscriptions to our weekly email newsletter
- Ensure that every member of the community has an equal opportunity to participate in OurChatham
- Develop, promote and execute workshops for community members who volunteer to attend and report about public meetings.
- Plan and direct a “top of the funnel” audience acquisition strategy that may include direct mail, email outreach, social media outreach, local partnerships and participation in community events.
- Write publicly 1-4 times a month about the community engagement work.
- Potentially help lead or develop workshops for local journalism organizations interested in increasing or improving their audience engagement and reader revenue efforts.
- Manage the Hearken audience engagement platform on OurChatham:
- keep tabs on incoming questions a few minutes each day
- flag the best ones to assign to reporters or to add to voting rounds
- approve all submitted questions before they are publicly-visible
- serve as first point of communication with question askers (to clarify a question or to alert them when their question is being picked up).
- Demonstrated passion about community engagement
- Interest in collaborative journalism
- Experience working with diverse communities
- Success working in a collaborative environment, especially one including creative work
- Success managing volunteers and/or vendors
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines
- Experience with public speaking, event planning and audience development
- Experience developing communications strategies across multiple channels and media
- Strong writer and editor
- Be familiar with using collaboration platforms like Slack, especially in a newsroom setting
- Experience with tools such as WordPress, MailChimp, Facebook ads, Google Analytics
- Proficiency in Spanish desired
The Audience Engagement Manager will be paid hourly as an independent contractor and work up to 10 hours per week.
Email the following items as attachments to Reese News Lab Director Ryan Thornburg at [email protected]:
- A letter describing your interest and qualifications, as well as how they would further the mission of OurChatham.
- A resume outlining relevant skills and professional work experience.
- The names and contact information for three professional references.