OurChatham is seeking an editor to work with UNC students and community volunteers to report and publish news and information of interest to a diverse audience of curious, influential people who live, work and play in Chatham County.
OurChatham is trying and assessing different ways of filling the unmet information needs of Chatham County. We are focused on engaging the community from the first point of story and product development and are — at least initially — focused on producing on journalism that focuses on explanations and solutions. We are not a breaking news operation.
- Edit weekly e-mail newsletter for accuracy, context, grammar and style
- Manage the Hearken audience engagement platform on OurChatham:
- keep tabs on incoming questions a few minutes each day
- flag the best ones to assign to reporters or to add to voting rounds
- approve all submitted questions before they are
- serve as first point of communication with question askers (to clarify a question or to alert them when their question is being picked up).
- Assign stories and other reporting tasks to UNC students, with story assignments largely coming from community questions
- Coach students as they report stories. Approximately four students working on stories, with one story being published each week.
- Edit student stories for accuracy, context, grammar and style
- At least five years of experience in journalism, with three years of news editing experience
- Demonstrated experience with engaged journalism
- Demonstrated experience working in a hands-on teaching or mentorship role
- Knowledge of North Carolina state and local issues and public affairs
- Demonstrated interest in trying and assessing different ways of filling the unmet information needs of a community
- Experience or interest in understanding the use of audience and content metrics in story development
- Experience with tools such as WordPress and MailChimp
- Proficiency in Spanish desired
The Editor will be paid hourly as an independent contractor and work up to 20 hours per week.
Email the following items as attachments to Reese News Lab Director Ryan Thornburg at [email protected]:
- A letter describing your interest and qualifications, as well as how they would further the mission of OurChatham.
- A resume outlining relevant skills and professional work experience.
- The names and contact information for three professional references.
We will begin reviewing applications on October 9 for an anticipated start date of November 15.